By Justin Lee (Singapore)
A subsidiary of Grupo Empresas Navieras S.A., Agencias Universales S.A. (AGUNSA) is a multinational company with a presence in over 20 countries providing ports, logistics, distribution and agency services. The company is the operator of a number of small airport concessions in Chile.
Apart from its current airport concessions, the company also has previous experience in the management of Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport in Chile, Sangster International Airport in Jamaica as well as the airports of San Andres and Providencia in Colombia.
The company also offers Ground Handling services in Santiago Airport and is currently looking to expand its Airport Services business.
In greater detail, the Chilean airports in AGUNSA’s current portfolio include:
El Loa Airport – AGUNSA has been managing and operating the El Loa Airport concession through Aeroportuario de Calama Consortium that was formed in 2012. The existing concession for El Loa Airport is expected to expire next year in 2022 and the next concession will run for 15 years.
Chacalluta International Airport – AGUNSA manages and operates Chacalluta International Airport jointly with Spanish infrastructure operator and developer Sacyr. The two companies constitute Sociedad Concesionaria Aeropuerto de Arica S.A. where Sacyr holds 57.5% of shares while AGUNSA holds the remaining 42.5% of shares. The length of this concession is 15 years from 2019. This project contemplates a total investment of approximately US$85mn.
El Tepual International Airport – In partnership with Sacyr, AGUNSA manages and operates El Tepual International Airport through Sociedad Concesionaria Aeropuerto del Sur. The concession started in May 2018 for a six-year term.This project contemplates a total investment of approximately US$36mn.
Bodegas AB Express S.A. – Through Bodegas AB Express, AGUNSA manages warehousing infrastructure and trading platforms for offices, storage and courier businesses at Arturo Merino Benítez International Airport in Santiago alongside a 5,500 m2 warehouse for import and export cargo. The concession for Bodegas AB Express runs until March 2032.