By Justin Lee (Singapore)
Listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, Sojitz Corporation is one of Japan’s largest trading conglomerates. The Sojitz Group consists of approximately 400 subsidiaries and affiliates located in Japan and throughout the world, developing wide-ranging general trading company operations in a multitude of countries and regions.
Sojitz operates with a seven-division structure comprising of
- The Automotive Division
- The Aerospace & Transportation Project Division
- The Infrastructure & Healthcare Division
- The Metals, Mineral Resources & Recycling Division
- The Chemicals Division
- The Consumer Industry & Agriculture Business Division
- The Retail & Consumer Service Division
Sojitz’s airport portfolio is managed through the Aerospace and Transportation Project Division and is still nascent.
At the moment, the airport assets in the Sojitz portfolio include:
- Kumamoto Airport, where Sojitz holds 15% of shares of Mitsui-led MSJA-Kumamoto Consortium which operates Kumamoto Airport.
- Shimojishima Airport, where Sojitz holds 15% of shares of Shimojishima Airport Management Co., Ltd (SAMCO), a joint investment with Mitsubishi Estate and Kokuba-Gumi.
- Khabarovsk Airport in Russia where Sojitz is a member of consortium of Japanese investors holding 49% of shares of the airport operator Khabarovsk Airport JSC (with the remaining 51% of shares held by Khabarovsk Airport JSC) .
- Palau International Airport in Palau where Sojitz has formed a joint venture, Palau International Airport Corporation, with Japan Airport Terminal Company and Japan Overseas Infrastructure Investment Corporation for Transport & Urban Development to operate Palau International Airport.