By Justin Lee (Singapore)
Egis Airport Operation is a fully-owned subsidiary of Egis Group, which is a consulting and engineering group working in the fields of construction for transport, urban development, buildings, industry, water, the environment and energy.
Through Egis Avia, which provides a unique portfolio of solutions in three core markets of Air Traffic Management (ATM), Airports and Air Operations, Egis Airport Operation operates 17 airports across four continents – Africa, Europe, Latin America and Oceania.
While Egis Airport Operation owns the majority of shares in LEM Oostend-Brugge and LEM-Antwerpen, which were set up in 2013 to operate Ostend-Bruges and Antwerp airports in Belgium over a 25-year concession period, it also has a minority shareholding in the following airport operator companies:
- SEGAP. SEGAP’s role is to manage the airports of Libreville in Gabon (through ADL), Abidjan in Ivory Coast (through AERIA) and Pointe Noire, Brazzaville and Ollombo in Congo (through AERCO)
- CAOG. Airport Operations (CYPRUS) Ltd is a joint venture between Vantage Airport Group and Egis Airport Operation formed to operate Larnaca International Airport and Paphos International Airport in Cyprus.
- AIR’PY. AIR’PY is a consortium set up to run Pau-Pyrenees airport in France. The consortium also includes Transdev and the Pau-Bearn Chamber of Commerce.
- ADT. Egis Airport Operation has a minority shareholding in Aéroport de Tahiti (ADT), which operates Tahiti-Faa’a International Airport, Bora Bora Airport, Raiatea Airport and Rangiroa Airport in French Polynesia.
- ABO. Egis Airport Operation holds 5% of the shares of Aéroports de Bretagne Ouest (ABO) which was formed in January 2017 to operate Brest Bretagne airport in France.
- ADC. Société Aéroport de Cornouaille (ADC), which is a subsidiary of ABO, manages Quimper Bretagne Airport in France.
- EGC Aero. Egis Airport Operation holds 45% of the shares of EGC AERO consortium which was set up in 2020 to operate Bergerac Dordogne Périgord Airport in France.
- ABSA. Aeroportos Brasil SA (ABSA), which has a 51% stake in Viracopos Airport in Brazil, is jointly owned by Egis Airport Operation, Triunfo Participações e Investimentos SA TPIS3.SA and UTC Engenharia SA.
The outbreak of the COVID19 pandemic in 2020 resulted a decline in passenger traffic as well as a disruption to business revenues across the airports operated by Egis Airport Operation.
At Ostend-Bruges Airport and Antwerp Airport, where Egis Airport Operation is a majority shareholder, passenger traffic saw year-on-year declines of 75.6% and 71% respectively in 2020. At the airports of Larnaca and Paphos in Cyprus, passenger traffic saw a year-on-year decline of 79.5% over the same period.
In recent years, Modalis has collaborated on a variety of projects with Egis including Panama City – Tocumen (ORAT), Algiers (ORAT) and Belize (National Transportation Strategy), among others